Saturday, July 8, 2017

Yogis Playlist

Picture this: mountain pose. Feet planted firmly on the mat feeling, rooted. Gaze either focused or eyes closed. Deep breathing. Arms begin to raise above the head stretching towards the heavens.

Panda by Desiigner plays in the background.

Most believe that doing yoga involves a “zen” environment, which includes the type of music that is played. Maybe in the studio the focus is on sounds of nature or melodic instruments, but it’s important to remember each yogi has a different practice, and each practice can come with a different playlist.  Each of us have songs with which our bodies want to move. What I’ve most commonly see is the rise in the number of yogis doing a flow to trap music, indicating that there is no universal sound that yogis move to.

There are days when I need to quiet my mind; these are days when to focus on my breathing and muscles I switch to my “instrumentals” playlist where no words can distract me. Other days when my emotions feel chaotic and I have no way to express them I use rock music as a filter while in High Lunge and Warrior II. Or maybe, as I have now seen quite often with others on Instagram, while in frog I want to incorporate a little booty poppin and Fi Di Jockey by Aidonia happens to work perfectly for me. Yoga not only involves the body and mind, but can hone in on the mentality of the yogi and music accompanies that mentality.


“But isn’t any other kind of music distracting?” I believe that when our bodies and minds are connected to the music that we can feel flow through us, it syncs with our being more than distracts us. One yogi loves playing Gangster by Kehlani while practicing her headstands because the song makes her feel empowered and badass and capable of doing many variations of the pose. And of course, with deviation from the “norm” comes controversy. Some people believe that individual having yoga classes with this different music are just trying to “get publicity” or “seek attention.” Others don’t understand how one could feel at ease or concentrate with any other type of music playing. But, the point of these “trap yoga” classes or “BeyonSLAY” workshops are to connect with others who share the same tastes and mindsets and practice. In the end, it builds on a community that you want to feel part of and in turn offers support and comradery for others.

Written by Anjé McLish

No comments:

Post a Comment