Monday, January 11, 2016

How to Find and Pursue Your Passion - 5 tips on making it happen!

For years, I’ve wanted to enroll in yoga teacher training. However,there were numerous reasons as to why I couldn’t. I made it a priority on my goals list and knew that one day it would happen.

Well, I’m very happy to say, that day finally came. It was the day after my birthday to be exact. To say I was excited would be an understatement.

So what changed in order for it to come to fruition?


Here are my 5 essential tips for finding and pursuing your passion:

     1.     Find what you love to do and focus only on that.

What is something that you are interested in and can’t keep off of your mind? My advice is to focus only on that. When you try to do too many things at once you will only cause more confusion and spread yourself too thin. Use this exploration time to research and learn as much as you can. Then pursue it as often as you can.

 2.     Make the time.

I know we’re all short on time. But it’s vital that you carve time out for yourself and actually put all of that research to use.

3.     Take advantage of the Internet and social media.

I couldn’t find a yoga community where I live (without traveling to LA or out of state). So I decided to utilize my Instagram account by documenting my yoga journey and ended up crossing paths with Black Girl Yoga. I’m also able to communicate with other yogis and people with similar interests as mine. It’s a great place to share ideas and resources.

4.     No is not an option…neither is not having “enough money.”

I tried for many years to get into yoga teacher training and things seemed to never line up for me. It was either due to not having the money, the time, or meeting the training requirements. Well I didn’t let any of that stop me this time.

Among other things, I created a GoFundMe account to get support from family and friends, I held donation based yoga classes, and even worked at a hair salon to save up additional money.

I “made” the time by cutting back on activities (and now, staying up a few extra hours per week to study and practice). I was able to meet the requirements because I developed a regular home practice and attended weekly yoga classes at my gym.

Where there is an obstacle, there is opportunity!

5.    Enjoy the journey.

We spend so much time trying to reach the destination that we miss the lessons along the way. Especially in our microwave society, we want everything instantly!

It took me years to finally enroll into yoga teacher training. But because of the road I had to take to get there, I’m more grateful for the opportunity and the obstacles I’ve had to overcome. Today, I’m in an awesome program and I can already tell that it’s going to be life changing.

Don’t let another day go by without you taking the first step. I promise you, once you light that fire it will be hard to extinguish.

Get started now and take your passion from a dream to reality.

Remember, enjoy the journey and take some pictures along the way!

Namaste,

Written by Jasmine Creighton
IG @jasminecreighton

3 comments:

  1. Lovely. I just recently finished yoga teacher training in December. It was a challenge being the only black woman in my training but I'm so very glad and proud I pushed through. I've come out stronger,unapologetically bold in my bkackness,and power as a teacher and hope to raise the consciousness of women who look like me and find themselves bogged down by fear. Anything is possible. Stay open:) #namaste

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and leaving comments! @unknown I definitely relate! I'm currently in training and I'm the only sistah in class. It starts with us and we can definitely spread the light. #namaste sis (Jasmine Creighton)

    ReplyDelete